Re: Fuel routings

Subject: Re: Fuel routings
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:52:24
Nick Hammond wrote:
> It also allows the gascolator to be at the
> lowest point of the system which a number of people who have contributed to
> the fuel system debate have mentioned as important. Personally, I don't
> follow their logic: if all of the fuel going to the engine passes through
> the gascolator, it will be able to perform its function of separating water
> and foreign matter no matter at what height it is mounted.

That advice is fairly universal, and I think there's several reasons.
One would be that water can collect in a low-point bend in the line
upstream of the gascolator and freeze, restricting flow.  Another is
where you have no tank drain, and need to remove all contaminated
fuel, a gascolator not at lowest point will not do so.  Still, our FAA
has an Advisory Circular (AC 20-43C) describing tests proving a
gascolator is ineffective in removing all of a measured amount of
water added to the fuel, so hence the need for tank drains also.

Regards,
Fred F.