Fuel routings

Subject: Fuel routings
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:36:26
Cheers:
            I am STILL routing fuel lines in my separated cockpit - due to
difficulty in adopting 3/8inch alum. lines to the design for my diesel.
            First consideration is whether to run the outlets rearward to
pumps etc., then forward to the fuel selector valve which is on the bottom,
just behind the 'mudguard' -- or to run the outlets forward to the selector
then to pumps and forward to engine compartment. Reason for dilemma is that
the heavy engine can well dictate rear position of pumps etc. for CofG
reasons.
            Second consideration is that engine pump will require steady
supply, as diesel injector demands ample and uninterrupted supply of air-
and water-free flow, and excess return to tank. I am keen to provide two
routes of pumped fuel to the engine (takeoff gangload, and enroute
lowpressure for whatever reason).
            Third is minor, really, - the aircraft seems flexible rearwards
and the alum fuel lines are not, so hose couplings need to intercede.

            My main query is: Can we discuss the pros and cons of pumped
fuel to the selector versus pumps following it? Your thoughts will be given
a warm welcome, and thanks,
Happy Landings
Ferg A064