Re: Battery problem

Subject: Re: Battery problem
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 04:20:12
Message text written by INTERNET:ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk
>Whilst I guess you don't have a 3300 Jabiru
Installation IMHO I would cut your hassle by
moving the  battery installation to a position
front of the firewall. This will reduce the
demand power needed from the battery .
I've "been there got the "tee" shirt!<

If that proves to be the answer then either you are still using a weak
battery or the wiring to the aft end was faulty. With correct wiring and a
good quality battery there is no reason why the battery should not work
well in the aft position. Certainly many Subaru powered Europas had to have
their battery back there for C of G reasons. Within the limits of the C of
G envelope there is a lot to be said for keeping an aft C of G particularly
if you have a monowheel Europa. The aft battery position is not critical
for voltage drop provided that the cable size is adequate and current draw
not excessive. It is likely that the current draw for a Rotax is less
critical than the Jabiru or Subaru as it is a much smaller engine however 4
guage cable should be more than adequate for the worst case (a Subaru with
the battery mounted at the aft end of the fuselage).

Nigel Charles