RE: Gascolator

Subject: RE: Gascolator
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 10:58:50
Hi! All
The only logical reason is theory that if the main tank filter/gascolator
blocks then presuming you never use the reserve side it SHOULD give you an
uncontaminated supply if used in "anger".
The problem arises ,however, that with the Europa "saddle tank" arangement
using the port side as the main tank the most crap put in via the Starboard
positioned filler will be likely to stay in the starboard side and if you
have this as reserve side the reserve gascolator will be likely to block up
very quickly immediately you  switch to reserve(that is if you have had a
port side blockage)
So. the ideal would be :-
a) use the port side as reserve and always fill the tank brim full to ensure
the new reserve is always topped up. Then the most dirty fuel settles out in
the starboard side and the reserve will be more likely to run a clean fuel .
b)Impossible with the Europa tank, fill from the Port side allowing it to
over flow the saddle and always replenish the starboard side now reserve. !
c) Occassionally drain the entire contents of the reserve side via the water
drain mod, or even drain both main and reserve.
But why are we so concerned when we should be meticulously clean with all
fuel going in.
I always fill from a polythene jug so you can see and de-cant any sediment,
but you can't
see what goes in direct from the refuelling bowser.
Regards
Bob Harrison  G-PTAG