Re: Gascolator

Subject: Re: Gascolator
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 10:14:12

For what it's worth

I can see no logical reason for using two Gascolators in the fuel system, other
than to add extra weight, extra connections, and the need to check on an extra
item.

The idea that an additional source of filtration will make it less likely that
dirty fuel will result in an engine stoppage is nonsense (apologies!).  If the
fuel is so dirty or contaminated that it will block the first gascolator, then
it will almost certainly block the second one as quickly.  The only logical
use I can see for a two gascolator arrangement is to give early warning that
there
is a problem with the fuel system.  This can be achieved just as easily by
fitting a fuel pressure gauge.

I know I have said this before and I don't think that I can overemphasise it but
contaminated fuel should simply not be allowed to get into the fuel tank in
the first place (obviously water is a different matter). It is very easy to
devise
an arrangement that filters the fuel as it is being poured into the fuel
tank.  This is by far the best way of preventing a blockage in the fuel system.

A single gascolator system is perfectly satisfactory provided the fuel is clean,
and most importantly the gascolator is regularly checked regularly for debris.

The gascolator on our aircraft is situated so that it can be reached from below
the aircraft and checked in the normal way with the standard fuel tester.  The
bulkhead on which it is mounted can also be removed for regular checks of the
gauze strainer. In addition there is a fuel pressure gauge installed in the
system.

Message -----

  From: DJA727@aol.com

  Subject: Gascolator

  A question for the group:

  I am starting to install my custom designed fuel system with all  3/8 inch
aluminum
tubing. That is custom designed as soon as I get through designing it!
My main question is:

  Where have people installed their gascolators - if they have installed them?

  I plan in 2 - one for each tank outlet. I have not installed the baggage
bulkhead
yet and am assuming that the lines must be routed back in that area - maybe
mounted to one of the 4 square supports under the baggage bulkhead? The fuel
lines would go from the tanks back to the gascolators and then forward to the
fuel selector valve and then forward to the engine from there.

  Also, with the 914 engine and 2 carbs, does the fuel line split and go to each
carb -- a "Y" connection? Right now I am planning a bulkhead "T" fitting to
split the fuel lines out to the 32 separate carbs.

  Thanks,

  Dave Anderson
  Nevada
  A227 - mono wheel motorglider.