Re: Gascolator

Subject: Re: Gascolator
From: david joyce <davidjoyce@beeb.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 11:54:30
Graham, As always your contributions make very good sense. Lots of Europas
were flying round entirely happily with a single Andair gascolator leading
into the fuel pumps until Europa emailed a few months back to say they have
changed their mind and now recommend two. It is worth pointing out that
their single gascolator was full of crud and just made the engine cough a
bit, and switching on their second fuel pump returned engine function to
normal and allowed them to return back to base normally. The presence of the
back up fuel pump acting on a single gascolator seems to me to act as a
reasonable extra safety measure, particularly when used in conjunction with
careful selection and handling of fuel and frequent checking of the
gascolator. In this context I have found that mounting the gascolator on one
of the inner vertical baggage bay supports, with an access door directly
under it makes it very easy both to get to  the drain valve on the bottom of
it and also to drop the bowl off. David Joyce