Re: Gascolator

Subject: Re: Gascolator
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 11:06:02
Bob Harrison wrote:

> The only logical reason is theory that if the main tank filter/gascolator
> blocks then presuming you never use the reserve side it SHOULD give you an
> uncontaminated supply if used in "anger".

I wonder if it may no difference, if it were practice to periodically
fly 30 minutes on the reserve side (at safe alt, good terrain).  If
the reserve is used only in anger, isn't there the possibility of
contamination over time?  They say on your lawn/garden equipment,
drain all fuel over winter, or at least add a "stabilizer."

I'm surprised the owner's manual doesn't say you do that.  On my
other, two-tank bird, it's better to fly just off the left tank for
more flight time in no-hands later trim.  But the good book says
switch every 30 minutes, which I do.  I've done the annual on her
since 1980, and opened up the tanks twice for A/D's or sender repair.
No contaminant, water, nothing, zip.

Regards,
Fred F., A063