Re: Gascolator

Subject: Re: Gascolator
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 10:56:31

In a message dated 12/09/2001 2:39:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk writes:

> That its not a problem may be because very few (one?) have tried what you're
> suggesting.
>
> The fact is, the tank is one large "polythene bag" that is NOT rigidly
> attached to the airframe.
> If the aluminium lines are not attached to the fuselage anywhere near to
> the
> tank outlets then they might survive continual flexing/movement without
> distress.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't risk it, especially after so carefully considering
> all the other failure modes.
> If the lines sprang a leak in flight, not only would you loose your fuel
> but, unless it drained quickly from the rear of the fuselage, you'd loose
> your balance as well.

My original idea was to run a short length of flexible line and then
transition into solid line -- for the reasons you mention. I believe I will
revisit that issue. Once I start the installation, the solution might become
more clear.

Thanks,

Dave