Re: Gascolator

Subject: Re: Gascolator
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:36:24
Forwarded from the bounce bin.  Message is from
"Kenneth S. Whiteley" <ken@kenwhit.demon.co.uk>

In message <4.3.2.7.2.20011207095206.00c2ec00@post.aviators.net>, Graham
Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk> writes

>The first one can be one of those separator funnels that stop water and
>dirt getting into the tank. (ACS) The second could be an Andair. Reliable,
>also blocks water but won't easily get blocked, unless there is a large
>build up of debris, which would block any filter system.
>
>I don't believe 2 gascolators is a good idea because the one on the right,
>the reserve, will tend to get any rubbish poured into the tank, but also
>you would need to drain the tank or fit extra stop cocks to be able to
>check the bowls if any contamination is found during drain checks.
>
>If this isn't logical please tell us?

The need to fit extra stop-cocks (which is undesirable as their position
would not be apparent from the cockpit) can be avoided if one uses the
two-tier valve from Andair. Then the two exits from the tank would go to
this valve and the two outlets would be commoned after the gascolators.
This arrangement would also have the advantage that the drain on the
gascolator could be used to back-flush the filter by draining when the
other inlet is connected to the tank. For dismantling the gascolator
both inlets would be set to OFF.

Ken Whiteley