Re: Gascolator

Subject: Re: Gascolator
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:53:16
>Where have people installed their gascolators - if they have installed them?
>
>I plan in 2 - one for each tank outlet. I have not installed the baggage
>bulkhead yet and am assuming that the lines must be routed back in that
>area - maybe mounted to one of the 4 square supports under the baggage
>bulkhead? The fuel lines would go from the tanks back to the gascolators
>and then forward to the fuel selector valve and then forward to the engine
>from there.

Dave,
There are only two ideal places for a gascolator, one to filter fuel as it
is being poured into the tank and one to filter it before it goes to the
fuel pump and on to the engine.

The first one can be one of those separator funnels that stop water and
dirt getting into the tank. (ACS) The second could be an Andair. Reliable,
also blocks water but won't easily get blocked, unless there is a large
build up of debris, which would block any filter system.

I don't believe 2 gascolators is a good idea because the one on the right,
the reserve, will tend to get any rubbish poured into the tank, but also
you would need to drain the tank or fit extra stop cocks to be able to
check the bowls if any contamination is found during drain checks.

If this isn't logical please tell us?

Graham