Re: Realalistic airspeeds

Subject: Re: Realalistic airspeeds
From: Ira Rampil <rampil@anesthes.sunysb.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:46:45
Hi Ken,

I recently rode in 914EA a 914T monowheel.  At 3000 MSL, OAT 80F and 100
rpm off
red line, Jim Thursby and I did a rectangle course and averaged the GPS
derived GS for each
side - it was 178mph.  Obviously speed will increase with altitude.  At
3000, I would not expect
any different between the 912 and the 914, but at 10k, the 914 will
still generate 100 HP and the 912 would be down to around 50hp or so.
The trigear will cost about 10 mph or so.  Adding the speed kit will
restore about 4-5 mph.  A more complete set of fairings migh buy you
back another 3-4mph.  With your circumstances I would strongly favor the
914T.  Good Luck,
Ira
A224