RE: Realalistic airspeeds

Subject: RE: Realalistic airspeeds
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:34:14
Let's go back to ground school.  To keep it simple, consider straight and
level flight: additional weight requires more lift to balance the forces,
but to generate more lift the wing's angle of attack must increase, and at
greater angles of attack more drag is induced.  To overcome the additional
drag we have two choices (or a combination of the two): add power or accept
slower speed.  Obviously things are not quite this simple because, for
example, if we let the speed decrease that increases the induced drag but
the parasitic and interference drag both decrease for a net reduction in
drag (except in slow flight where the total drag increases as speed is
reduced).

A practical demonstration of the incremental improvement from weight
reduction is provided by some airlines that go so far as to leave most of
the fuselage unpainted, not because they like the look of shiny aluminum but
specifically to decrease fuel burn at cruise (lower weight, same speed,
reduced power, lower fuel burn).

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070