Re: Realalistic airspeeds

Subject: Re: Realalistic airspeeds
From: Fergkyle <ve3lvo@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:36:49
> A practical demonstration of the incremental improvement from weight
> reduction is provided by some airlines that go so far as to leave most of
> the fuselage unpainted, not because they like the look of shiny aluminum
but
> specifically to decrease fuel burn at cruise (lower weight, same speed,
> reduced power, lower fuel burn).>
> Best regards,      > Rob Housman        A070

Rob:
            I agree with you in principle, but practically speaking 5 extra
pounds is not going to register any change in cruise at high weights. And
yes, the airlines do make these amazing discoveries. Mine banned smoking as
a community service - your health is important to us - BUT 200 aircraft in
one year saved $1 million because of the permitted reduction in cabin flow.
What a wonderful surprise!!
Ferg Kyle
Europa A064