Re: MEMS

Subject: Re: MEMS
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:10:20
Stefan, you're citing phenomenon in the high end market, and you're
right.  Except that ControlVision only designed the software; the
hardware is affordable because they are mass-market items.  I was
essentially comparing a $400 yellow-tagged attitude gyro for a
homebuilt or spam-can replacement, vs. the prospect of an even $500
electronic version.  Will never happen at expected unit sales volume,
or at least not until there is serious tort reform, if then.  It's
much less risky restricting sales of new-tech but safety-critical
items (through pricing and STC) to high-end aircraft professionally
flown and maintained.  IOW, there is a high pricing "floor" to this
stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the decreasing cost of
the electronic components.  The #2 selling (and quality) transponder
-- Narco AT-150 -- has all 50-cent, 7400-series chips, and they're on
the financial rocks.  Investment in a custom, surface-mount VLSI will
not solve their problems.  Nor will a competitor, in this stagnant
market, get rich.

Regards,
Fred F., A063, retired IRS number-cruncher and biz realist by
(tortured) osmosis