RE: MEMS

Subject: RE: MEMS
From: Stefan Ridderheim <stefan@ridderheim.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:40:04
I think you are totally wrong.

After 24 years in the computer business I have noticed a dramatical droop
price-performance, nothing in the past has this history.

Take as an example The Control Visions product; "Anywhere" a gps, moving
map, database, HSI, EFIS, etc "instrument" for a price of 1100$ incl an
Ipaq. Or take the Arnav for 6000$. If you backup 10 years you might have
found these equipments on a brand new airliner to a cost of lets say
500.000$..... That is what I call a dramatical price drop.

Well not certifed in the case of Control Visions stuff for 1100$. Is a watch
---From your gas station for 10$ certified? No, but it is MORE accurate than
FAA's requirements.

People in the aviation instrument business need to watch out for the
revolution that is comming, let me give you one example, Northstar CT-1000
is priced at 10 000$, what is it? It is a simple handheld computer with
performance of about 4-5 years back, nothing more. It should, will be,
priced at max 1500$ and only if they bring the performance up to date.

I strongly belive that in 1-2 years the complete instrumentation for our
type of aircrafts will cost less than 5000$ incl com radio... and it will be
more accurate than any of the old mechanical inaccurate stuff of today.

I think that the revoultion we have seen in the yatching industry will
happen here as well.

The people in FAA need to be more aggresive to certify, and accept new
approches to what is safety. An example, IFR requires misc Radio nav
equipment... Why is not the gps-only accepted.. it is more accurate, more
reliable, etc.

Lets save money and get the electronic instrumentation on the move faster.

Kindest regards
Stefan