Re: Syringe for dispensing resin & hardner

Subject: Re: Syringe for dispensing resin & hardner
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 23:01:56
We keep small quantities of  resin and hardener in polyethylene bottles
(Rubbermaid brand, I think) for easy dispensing into mixing cups.  They
have screw tops, with openings in the tops that are covered by snap-on
caps.  A pointed tip (like a honey server) makes it very easy to
dispense one drop of hardener at a time, to get that last tenth of a
gram.  There doesn't seem to be any effect on the epoxy from the
plastic, although their permeability to oxygen would probably make it
inadvisable to use them for more than short-term storage.  Most of the
plastic syringes I have seen appear to be polypropylene, and they work
fine with the epoxy; in fact, they are essential for repairing the
occasional bubble in a layup.  Acetone won't bother polypropylene, but
vinegar works great for cleaning up epoxy, and is a lot less obnoxious
than acetone.

Dave DeFord, #A135