Re: Syringe for dispensing resin & hardner

Subject: Re: Syringe for dispensing resin & hardner
From: Andrew Sarangan <europaxs@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:10:18

Thanks for everyones advice. Instead of squeeze bottles, I tried a turkey
baster, and it worked great. The squeeze bulb makes it easy to suck in various
quantities resin. I used one for the resin and another for the hardner. They
are real cheap, only about a dollar a piece. Once I was finished, I dipped it
into acetone and squirted it a few times and it came out clean.

Chris and Susan Beck <n9zes@execpc.com> wrote:
Andrew, here's what we use and it works a treat.  Either get from somebody or
drink your self to get some 1/2 and 1 liter soda bottles.  Then, go to
Wal-Mart or
other store of that type and find the screw on pop-tops like the ones on a
syrup
bottle.  Clean out the inside of the bottle well, and you're set.  We use the
1/2
liter for hardener and 1 liter for resin.  It makes it VERY easy to dispense
very
small, accurate amounts with our digital scale.  Keep a paper towel handy to
wipe
up drips.

The hardner does harden the plastic bottle over time, leading to leaks, but
we
just replace it every month or two.  We've found no affect on the cured
mixture
---From the plastic.   It can't be any worse than those resin pumps with the
plastic
lines. We keep a bit of each batch leftover and give it the "scratch test",
and
we've always had excellent results, even if the workshop is in the mid 50's
(F).
We use heatlamps to locally heat the layups rather than trying to keep the
entire
basement warm, but the leftover resin can be sitting on the bench away from
any of
the heat.

Chris Beck
A159