Re: MEMS

Subject: Re: MEMS
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 10:08:39
I think there's a third view -- business reality.  Aircraft-specific
components are marketed in an environment of tiny unit sales volume,
high product liability exposure, and gov't regulation.  A general
consumer GPS costs $100; the VFR aviation version around $700, even
though gov't regulation is no factor.  But if the cheap receiver and
processor engines common to them all did not exist were there no
general consumer market, a GPS would cost $10,000.  Add another
$10,000 for IFR certification in a panel-mount.

Taking our example of an electronic attitude indicator, the market for
use in low-end, production aircraft is problematic.  Liability
exposure for a unit to be used IFR is enormous, as are possible
certification costs for a separate power source (that's what vacuum
instruments give you), for each airframe type you seek gov't
approval.  These costs would not apply so much to a backup instrument,
but owners can do that now with an electric gyro, but at the low end
they just don't.

That leaves the homebuilt market, but take the number of aircraft
completed annually, and estimate a third will have an attitude
instrument.  Included in this market segment are folks content with an
attitude gyro bought at a fly market for $150.  Even if our high-tech
gyro sensor had an OEM cost of $10, and ditto for a display device
that's outdoors-readable enough so people will buy it, there's no
pricing strategy at the probable unit sales volume to prevent huge
operating losses, except at very high price levels that the Lancair
IV-P crowd will still go for.  After 30 yrs. experience with the
Internal Revenue Service, basement businesses thru Fortune 500, I can
say that even that one is a maybe.

Regards,
Fred F., A063