MEMS

Subject: MEMS
From: Stefan Ridderheim <stefan@ridderheim.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:39:00
I strongly belive, in fact I know, that the future in instrumentation is
going in a new direction. It will not follow the old path with separate
instrument, but towards one single screen (dual/triple for security).

On this screen (computer) you will be able to see, and hear, what you want
and beeing alerted of things you miss. The best example of today is NASA's
Highway in the Sky.

When this happens it will become very easy to add functionality, to that
screen (computer) and at an extreamly low cost. Just take the example of a
complex engine instrument, today u will pay 2000-3000$ for knowing how your
engine works. The probe costs are about 200-300$ and they will stay the
same, but the software will probably be below 300-500$ and there is no more
cost since you have the computing power already. This means that the cost of
a qualified engine analyzing tool would be 500-1000$ which is a cut of 75%
in price.

Control Vision was just an example of this new wawe.

This means that moore people can afford getting this stuff which increases
the market dramatically, and the pices go even lower. The loosers are the
manufactors that does not put the investments into this approch. The
financial hurdle to get into avionics will dramatically be reduced when the
true introduction of a generic computer and screen is seriously introduced
in the general aviation.

This has happend in so many other business fields before. The reason why we
dont have it today is because general aviation is a comparable small
business. BUT we are today on the edge of this revolution.

I have constructed computers for the digital TV business for over 10 years
and having 1300 TV Stations worldwide as customers. I know with that
experiance that a very good high performance general aviation computer with
a very good daylite readable screen should cost today less than 2000$, and
add to that all the probes and sensors you need at a cost of less than
1000$. The software cost should/will typically cost 200-300$ per application
area ie, nav, engine, communication, flight instruments. All together, fully
"IFR" equipped, no more than 5000$, and prices going down..

Let me give you a funny scenario, take Microsoft Flight Simulator and
connect accurate and percise sensors as an input and suddenly you have a
Boeing 777 panel in your Europa......   I know it sounds stupid, but........
I wonder what FAA would say???? LOL

God I LOVE the future!!

Kindest Regards
Stefan