Re: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 08:00:04

Wrt  dynon, please keep in mind that their attitude "gyro" algorithm requires
valid
airdata (and gps fallback) to prevent drift/tumbling. Every year at oshkosh
I ask if they have resolved their "edge case calculations" to remove the airdata
requirement, and the principles of the co. squirm, go into a long round-about
explanation and finally embarrassingly admit that they have not. I am truly
surprised, as the only situation when I might rely on the attitude indication
is when I might be in potential icing conditions....  Give one a test and
gently blow into the pitot and watch it tumble merrily (as the company's
principle
demonstrated to me 5 years ago).

Grand Rapids proudly explain that their EFIS attitude algorithms do not require
any external data (do they likely use their magnetometer?) which therefore may
be more suitable for inadvertent ifr flight.  They claim that you can keep their
units in a constant std rate turn (with no airdata or gps) with no drift
tendency (as demonstrated in their helicopter camera aiming application) ......
impressive if true.

Just figured I'd throw that out there,
Cheers,
Pete
A239

> On Sep 6, 2014, at 4:40 AM, Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info> wrote:
>

> Hi
>
> Anybody know what we are hoping to get out of this.  Will you be able to fly
a Europa IFR in Class A as per a fully certified aeroplane?

> Pete
>
>> On 06/09/14 06:57, spcialeffects wrote:
>>
>> Hi Brian. Well I for one can't wait for your technical letter out lining what
is acceptable or required as I am putting off buying my panel at the moment
so that I can build a fully accepted IFR fit panel. I am buying dynon throught
out as I consider it value for money.