Re: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: LAA/CAA IFR permission on europas
From: David Watts <dg.watts@talktalk.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 15:54:19

Tony,

Pitot heat will not be part of the equation in the UK as the CAA have specified
that the new IR permission for Permit Aircraft will specifically not include
flight into known icing conditions, nor flight near thunderstorm activity.

Dave Watts

> On 6 Sep 2014, at 14:56, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Regarding instrument flying a Europa, can those that have contemplated it tell
me how you overcame the problem of heating a pitot tube, and where you mounted
it? Also, I believe they are greedy for power, hugely, so does all your fancy
navigation devices go dim when you tip turn it on, so you can keep it upright,
but you can't any longer go anywhere anymore, with any certainty? It's all
a bit problematic. Fly a Groundspeed until visual, yes, that could work, but
not for sustained IMC flying.
> Regards
> Tony Renshaw
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On 6 Sep 2014, at 1:01 pm, "Alan Carter" <alancarteresq@onetel.net> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Peter.
>> Sorry but without going through those 869 pages again I can,t remember,
>> But to comply with everything was a nightmare, ie Course, payment, Dual
>> controls,
insurance, instructor, Examiner, What is states on the back of your permit
etc, about adding ratings , I gave up in the end.
>> Do remember at the time only two types of GPS were approved,
>> The kit you have to have is that required for the syllabus ,and I am pretty
sure you have to use an ADF, but that Leeds into another question, can it be a
Pseudo ADF on the GPS, as you know this will not suffer all the errors as the
real ADF, like Coastal Refraction, Wing refraction, Storms, etc, etc,
>> Its a real tricky subject, as I was finding with the CAA one question lead
>> into
another and my phone bill and time were being eaten away.