Re: Europa-List: Refilling a Europa by hand

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Refilling a Europa by hand
From: Kelvin Cobb <kelvin.cobb@icloud.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 08:34:13

I am set up similar to David, I have the smallest 'Mr Funnel' and use a small
length
of para cord to tie to passenger lift strut.... Very secure. At the hangar
I have a 'waggle side to side handled pump', but on trips just carry a plastic
Jerry and my funnel and do the filling with good old fashioned brute force....
Hmmm, as I'm not getting any younger, perhaps one of those battery pump thingies
might be worth a look :-)

Sent from my iPad

On 4 Sep 2013, at 22:05, David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk> wrote:

> John, I have a simple funnel with the spout cut off so it is about 6 or 7cm
> long
and with a string attached to the brim. This attaches by a half hitch to the
door strut and the whole thing is nicely stable. A paint filter inside the
funnel completes the set up when I am using a jerry can. I don't bother with the
funnel when I am filling from an airport pump. Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ

> John Heykoop <john.heykoop@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all
>> I fitted a car battery and a standard Europa fuel pump on a 'sack barrow',
>> but
filling the plane this way takes a lot longer than refueling by simply lifting
the jerry can above my shoulders. There is also the hassle of having to load
the barrow into the car every time I go flying. So I soon got fed up with this
and now do everything the hard way. The exercise probably does me good.
>> What I haven't been able to master is how to keep a filter funnel upright
>> while
refueling from a jerry can (my Europa is an XS). After the damn thing had
fallen over a number of times, covering me and the plane with fuel I decided to
do without. So far without adverse consequences - I have never found a drop
of water in the fuel, and my gascolator filter is always very clean. All the
same,
I am uneasy about not using a filter funnel, and would be interested to know
how other XS owners manage this.
>> John
>> Europa XS G-JHKP
>> On 4 Sep 2013, at 18:39, Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Personally I use 10 litre fuel cans which I can lift to pour into a filter
funnel with a micro mesh filter. I have also seen a standard fuel pump, as in
the Europa electric pump, connect to a small rechargeable lead acid cell. All
mounted on a 'Sack Barrow' with a 25 litre can. Alan
>>> Sent from my iPhone
my shoulders to fill the plan is hard work.
time squeezing the trigger to re fill.??
into the aircrafts AUX power socket, I have not seen any on the market, so
is it make your own,??