Re: Europa-List: Refilling a Europa by hand

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Refilling a Europa by hand
From: John Heykoop <john.heykoop@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 21:27:54

Hi all

I fitted a car battery and a standard Europa fuel pump on a 'sack barrow', but
filling the plane this way takes a lot longer than refueling by simply lifting
the jerry can above my shoulders. There is also the hassle of having to load
the barrow into the car every time I go flying. So I soon got fed up with this
and now do everything the hard way. The exercise probably does me good.

What I haven't been able to master is how to keep a filter funnel upright while
refueling from a jerry can (my Europa is an XS). After the damn thing had fallen
over a number of times, covering me and the plane with fuel I decided to do
without. So far without adverse consequences - I have never found a drop of
water in the fuel, and my gascolator filter is always very clean. All the same,
I am uneasy about not using a filter funnel, and would be interested to know
how other XS owners manage this.

John
Europa XS G-JHKP

On 4 Sep 2013, at 18:39, Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk> wrote:

> Personally I use 10 litre fuel cans which I can lift to pour into a filter
> funnel
with a micro mesh filter.

> I have also seen a standard fuel pump, as in the Europa electric pump, connect
to a small rechargeable lead acid cell. All mounted on a 'Sack Barrow' with
a 25 litre can.

> Alan
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 4 Sep 2013, at 15:48, "Alan Carter" <alancarteresq@onetel.net> wrote:
>

>> Hi All.
>> My plan is LAA cleared for use with MOGAS.
>> I fill it with a 28 litre plastic cann, lifting this weight of fuel to above
my shoulders to fill the plan is hard work.
>> I know Trans Air do a filler nozzle hand pump, I presume this take a lot of
time squeezing the trigger to re fill.??
>> Has anyone used or details off , an electric inline pump that can be plugged
into the aircrafts AUX power socket, I have not seen any on the market, so is
it make your own,??