Re: Europa-List: Re: Mod 73

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Mod 73
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 09:04:17
I fully understand the requirement for an interference pin fit to avoid the h
ammering out of the holes over time.
That said, could "taper pins" be used?

cheers,
Pete

On Oct 14, 2012, at 4:37 AM, "Duncan & Ami" <ami-mcfadyean@talktalk.net> wro
te:

> <<Perfect answer Nev..>>
> Not quite.
> <<..Back then, we didn't take into account that builders would take it apa
rt / reassemble / take apart / reassemble it the wrong way round / take apar
t / reassemble and wear the holes .......... >>

> I don't believe the parts manufacturing execution was up to the mark.
> In my own case the pins were taken out from the pre-assembled torque tube a
ssembly and put back in once. Only. And in the correct holes. Looseness appe
ared as soon as the jointing compound that I used between the tubes let go, t
hen got worse.
> Further, I don't believe the originals were a reamed fit; merely drilled (
albeit with a decently sharp drill) but the edge of the holes had then been e
nthusiastically deburred, thereby removing locally a significant amount of t
ube wall thickness where the pins bear.
> I replaced 400 hours ago with oversize pins driven in with a hammer. There
 has been no subsequent degradation of fit.

> So, the design was OK, but not the execution of the parts; be that at the
Factory or maybe in some cases compounded by the builder.