RE: Europa-List: Re: Mod 73

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Mod 73
From: Duncan & Ami <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 09:37:00
<<Perfect answer Nev..>>
Not quite.
<<..Back then, we didn't take into account that builders would take it
apart
/ reassemble / take apart / reassemble it the wrong way round / take
apart /
reassemble and wear the holes .......... >>

I don't believe the parts manufacturing execution was up to the mark.
In my own case the pins were taken out from the pre-assembled torque
tube
assembly and put back in once. Only. And in the correct holes. Looseness
appeared as soon as the jointing compound that I used between the tubes
let
go, then got worse.
Further, I don't believe the originals were a reamed fit; merely drilled
(albeit with a decently sharp drill) but the edge of the holes had then
been
enthusiastically deburred, thereby removing locally a significant amount
of
tube wall thickness where the pins bear.
I replaced 400 hours ago with oversize pins driven in with a hammer.
There
has been no subsequent degradation of fit.

So, the design was OK, but not the execution of the parts; be that at
the
Factory or maybe in some cases compounded by the builder.

Duncan McF.