Re: Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 22:30:14
Hi Marcel

This is an old topic and I have repeated these
words many time:

I have had a Laminova since 2007 and +250 flight
hours and I am completely happy w it.
I am not sure about the type /size I think it is
the middle size (look at an attachment).
If I remember correct, during those days they had
only one size or so.

It works well during all OAT conditions
between -23C ... +32C which I have experienced so
far.

When cold, the oil temp follows the water temp but
a bit below and when hot, it follows the water
temp but a bit over.
Always between the limits.

When very hot, I prefer moderate climbing speed
(around 500 f/min  and 100 knots) and equal power
settings to keep temps well below their limits.
During a full power cruise I have never temp
problems at all.

When very cold (= -10C or colder), I tape off let
us say 50% or more about the air-intake to the
water cooler.
Please notice I have also a water thermostat to
reach minimum temps more quick and to keep them
well over the minimums also during long and speedy
(+150 knots) iddle descendings (which I really
love).

Also, I assume when only a water-cooler and no
oil-cooler behind it, it is better for airstreams
also and for water-cooling ability.

I do not know how it works in Classic with two
water radiators? Maybe you try and let us know!

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Raimo Toivio

Europa XS Mono OH-XRT #417

Updated flight hours /landings: