Re: Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:56:31

On 09/28/2011 08:11 PM, zwakie wrote:
> Reading more about oil cooling I came across a thread mentioning a
> Laminova/Mocal oil to water heat exchanger.
>
> Anyone has one of those installed?

Yes, I have one as my primary oil cooler.
I'm perfectly happy with it. It eliminates the need for a thermostat, as
the oil warms up quickly by the coolant. Oil temp follows the coolant
temp closely.
In my case, I can regulate the coolant temp perfectly with my servo
controlled cowl flap.

I have some good news for you: I have a spare mocal left over. I started
with a small one but it was too small for my 914, so I replaced it with
a bigger one. The small one should work very well for your engine.

You are free to try it and/or make an offer. You only need to order the
oil connectors for it as I re-used them for my new Laminova. I can point
you to some silicone hose suppliers as well so you can plumb it in.

> If so, would you please care to
> share your experiences in respect to oil and coolant temps at high
> and low OAT?

It doesn't really matter in my case as I can get exactly the temperature
I wish regardless of OAT, speed, altitude or power setting.

Usually, the oil temp will become a bit (say 10C) higher than the
coolant temp, but as I like to keep my coolant at the hot side (for
economy/performance reasons, about 110C) I had the oil temp creeping up
to 120C and found this just a bit too much. So I installed a very tiny
oil/air cooler in series with the Laminova and that solved the problem.

> How do I determine which version to use in case I wish to get rid of
> the oil-cooler altogether?

The size of my spare Mocal would be perfect for you.

Frans