Re: Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:10:16

On 09/30/2011 12:51 PM, zwakie wrote:
> What capacity exchanger do I need?

The smallest one should suffice. Some other people have been flying it
with a 912S. It is almost ok for a 914 but a little too marginal, mainly
due to the extra cooling demand of the turbo oil lines.

> Could not find anything on the web that helps me make an educated assessment.

There are several graphs on the sites which sell the Laminova. The Rotax
flows 60 Liter coolant per minute, oil is (if I remember correctly for
the 912) about 10 Liters per minute. Fill in the appropriate input
temperatures and you will get the oil output temperature.

> --- Frans: I would like to test the one you have lying around. If it gives me
sufficient cooling on the oil I'll gladly buy it from you. If not, I won't buy
yours and go for a larger capacity one. Is that OK with you?

That's ok. You only need to buy the oil connectors for it. And that
brings up the following point:

> OIL hoses: it's my understanding silicone is best:

No, not for oil. Oil dissolves silicone.

I used this:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection1.asp?Product=3490

An alternative is:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection1.asp?Product=3480

These hoses are lightweight, extremely reliable, will not abrade, are
able to cope with high temperatures, and resistant to all kind of
chemicals. And yes, these hoses are very flexible and can be routed
exactly as you wish.

Note: You will NEED the special hoses connectors for it. You can not use
barbed fittings with hose clamps.

It will cost you some money but hey it is an airplane and your life
depends on it.

> --- Frans (and all): can you please point me to silicone hose suppliers?

www.sfsperformance.co.uk
They can make almost anything special, but they are hard to do business
with,they need constant chasing. Expect to spend a dozen emails and
phone calls before they deliver what you asked (and payed) for.

> COOLANT hoses:
> --- I'm inclined to stick with the hoses recommended by Europa, unless others
have great experience with alternatives. All suggestions are appreciated!

The hoses from Europa are nothing special, just regular rubber hoses.
Silicone hoses are better and do not age.

Frans