Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic
From: zwakie <mz@cariama.nl>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 03:51:25

frans@privatepilots.nl wrote:
> Yes, you missed that that was a temporary setup to keep us flying.

I indeed missed that. Thanks for the explanation of your changes since.

Scouring the web for more information and reading your replies and those of
others
convinced me that having an oil-water heat exchanger is a very good and
'elegant'
way to control fluid temps, especially if are able to optimize airmass
and -flow through the cowling. I have therefore decided to abandon the approach
that I already started, and replace my oil rad with an oil-water heat exchanger
instead. At a later stage I will evaluate the need for airflow-optimization.

This brings me to preparing for this change:

What capacity exchanger do I need?
Could not find anything on the web that helps me make an educated assessment.
--- Frans: I would like to test the one you have lying around. If it gives me
sufficient
cooling on the oil I'll gladly buy it from you. If not, I won't buy
yours and go for a larger capacity one. Is that OK with you?

What type of hoses?
Since this modification requires purging both coolant and oil, I will take the
opportunity to replace all coolant hoses (FYI: Skydrive carburetter heater
system
is installed on my engine).

OIL hoses: it's my understanding silicone is best:
--- Can silicone oil hose be routed fairly easy by 'bending' them, or will I
need
to order them pre-shaped to fit my plan?
--- Frans (and all): can you please point me to silicone hose suppliers?

COOLANT hoses:
--- I'm inclined to stick with the hoses recommended by Europa, unless others
have
great experience with alternatives. All suggestions are appreciated!
--- Where can I buy these?

Thanks all for having me brought this far, hopefully you are not getting bored
with my bombardment of questions and are still willing to bring me one step
further
[Wink]

Marcel

---

Finally, anyone care to comment on these thoughts:

> I can see only one downside of having a heat exchanger: by integrating the two
cooling circuits, in the scenario of a failing hose anywhere in the combined
cooling systems, engine temps would increase much faster as opposed to having
two separate cooling cooling circuits.
> Acting upon such a failure would be much more time-critical, as I see it you
only have a single option if such happens: shut the engine immediately, do a
forced
landing and hope that you identified the issue quick enough to save your
engine.

--------
Marcel
(Europa Classic Tri-Gear PH-MZW)