Re: Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Sealing the water and oil coolers in a Classic
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:41:59

On 09/29/2011 10:39 AM, zwakie wrote:
>> Yes, I have one as my primary oil cooler.
>
> I thought your oil cooler installed on the starboard footwell with its own
> inlet
was your primary? Maybe I missed something... [Wink]

Yes, you missed that that was a temporary setup to keep us flying. Last
spring I took it out and redesigned the entire cooling, to fix the
cooling problems for once and for all, and to reduce cooling drag at the
same time.

A heat exchanger for the oil eliminates yet another air entry and
radiator drag, eliminates the need for an oil thermostat, and makes it
possible to aerodynamically clean up the inside of the cowling.

I have now only three air inlets in the cowling: One for the coolant
radiator, one 3 inch opening for the engine inlet and intercooler (with
butterfly valve to close it during the cruise), and one 3 inch opening
for cylinder cooling and aux oil rad. That's all. No gills, no frills,
nothing.
All air, after having passed the radiators and cylinders is collected
inside the cowling, and routed via the underside of the engine, taking
the heat of sump, exhaust and turbo with it on its way out.
All openings are sealed off. The entire nose wheel area is also fully
closed. There is (besides the exhaust ducting/augmentor) only one air
outlet, equipped with a servo controlled cowl flap, and typically during
cruise it is just 1cm (!) open. Compare that to the XS-cowling air exit,
which despite its monstreous size appears to be still too small.

> Great offer! If and when I take this approach, I definitely would like to test
your spare mocal to see if its capacity suits my engine.

Well, it is not a spare actually as it is too small for the 914. It is
just laying around until I find time to put it on eBay or so.

Frans