Re: Europa-List: Firewall material vs Canada "fireproof material" airwor

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Firewall material vs Canada "fireproof material" airworthiness
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:35:05
requirement

Bud=0Aan English 914 tri gear had his Andair mini gascolator block. The rus
t from an old Jerry can passed thru the Mister Funnel he always uses. The m
esh of the Andair is 70micron, Mister funnel 120 micron,(check that figure)
 Just one more obscure gotcha. =0AAndair told me their problem was that Rot
ax specify 100micron and they can only source 70.=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A__
______________________________=0AFrom: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>=0ATo: e
uropa-list@matronics.com=0ASent: Friday, 25 June, 2010 23:34:57=0ASubject:
Re: Europa-List: Firewall material vs Canada "fireproof material"    airwor
thiness requirement=0A=0A =0AKarl, Dave and Graham,=0AI use a Mister Funnel
 and very clean Jerry Cans.  Our local Florida =0Astations have ethanol now
, and as an experiment am running it full time without =0Aincident so far.
 Ethanol cleans the tank very well.  After the =0Athird tank of gas run thr
ough preflight I filled the filter.  After 1 hour =0Aof flying time I notic
ed a slight fuel pressure drop and switched to =0Athe reserve and pressure
returned.  Clogged filter.  Haven't had a =0Aproblem since. =0A =0AThe fuel
 filters stay clean, but I have noticed all but my post pump R9 =0Afuel lin
es (Goodyear) are smelling like a gas leak.  Next oil change, all =0Athe fu
el lines are coming out.  It seems that the inside of the older fuel =0Ainj
ection lines (Discount Auto Parts) are swelling a bit as well.  I have =0An
oticed the inside of the drain lines sloughing off a whiteish material and
am =0Aconcerned.  I flushed my lines with denatured alcohol before installa
tion =0Abut did not run a small cleaning cotton through them.  I have not s
een =0Awater or growth in my tanks or my long sitting fuel cans. =0A =0ABud
   =0A----- Original Message ----- =0A>From: Karl Heindl =0A>To: europa-lis
t@matronics.com =0A>Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 11:41 =0A>AM=0A>Subject: RE
: Europa-List: Firewall =0A>  material vs Canada "fireproof material" airwo
rthiness requirement=0A>=0A>  =0A> =0A>Dave and Graham,=0A> =0A>I am puzzle
d by all this fuss about fuel =0A>  contamination. Why have I never heard a
bout a car having this problem ?=0A>I =0A>  have never noticed anything mor
e than a spec of dust in the Andair gascolator. =0A>  I also buy most fuel
---From new gas stations where the turnover is high, and =0A>  pour it through
 a funnel with built-in sieve. And I keep a full tank through =0A>  the win
ter months.=0A> =0A>Karl=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>  =0A>_____________________
___________=0A >  From: loboloda@execulink.com=0A>Subject: Re: Europa-List:
 Firewall material vs =0A>  Canada "fireproof material" airworthiness requi
rement=0A>Date: Fri, 25 Jun =0A>  2010 09:42:22 -0400=0A>To: europa-list@ma
tronics.com=0A>=0A>Hi Graham, =0A> =0A>=0A>=0A>It was a 914.=0A>We have bot
h tried using filter funnels while fueling, however the =0A>  process is pa
infully slow, so we are back=0A>to using fuel straight from plastic jerry c
ans. We use Shell premium =0A>  which has been very clean, and in Ontario
=0A>there is no ethanol in it=0A>=0A>=0A>Dave =0A>=0A>On 25-Jun-10, at 3:29
 AM, GRAHAM SINGLETON wrote:=0A>=0A>Hi Dave=0A>>most contamination gets in
when fuel is added. Rust from =0A>>    Jerry cans is not uncommon, also alg
ae from old fuel. You really need =0A>>    separate filters so that if one
blocks you have a get down safely reserve. =0A>>    914s tend to be more of
 a problem because of the high flow =0A>>    rate.=0A>>Graham=0A>>=0A>>=0A>
>=0A>> =0A>>=0A>>http://www================
=======0A>>=0A>>=0A>>=0A>>face="courier new,courier">http://w
ww.matronhref="http://forums.matronics.com";>http://forums.matronics.com
=0A>>href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution";>http://www.matronics.co
m/contribution =0A>>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Eur
opa-List=0A>ronics.com=0A>ww.matronics.com/contribution=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>
href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List";>http://www.matronhr
ef="http://forums.matronics.com";>http://forums.matronics.com=0A>href="h
ttp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/c =0A=0A=0A_