Re: Europa-List: Firewall material vs Canada "fireproof material" airwor

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Firewall material vs Canada "fireproof material" airworthiness
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:34:57
Karl, Dave and Graham,
I use a Mister Funnel and very clean Jerry Cans.  Our local Florida
stations have ethanol now, and as an experiment am running it full time
without incident so far.  Ethanol cleans the tank very well.  After the
third tank of gas run through preflight I filled the filter.  After 1
hour of flying time I noticed a slight fuel pressure drop and switched
to the reserve and pressure returned.  Clogged filter.  Haven't had a
problem since.

The fuel filters stay clean, but I have noticed all but my post pump R9
fuel lines (Goodyear) are smelling like a gas leak.  Next oil change,
all the fuel lines are coming out.  It seems that the inside of the
older fuel injection lines (Discount Auto Parts) are swelling a bit as
well.  I have noticed the inside of the drain lines sloughing off a
whiteish material and am concerned.  I flushed my lines with denatured
alcohol before installation but did not run a small cleaning cotton
through them.  I have not seen water or growth in my tanks or my long
sitting fuel cans.

Bud