Re: Europa-List: Battery capacity

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Battery capacity
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:30:58

Hi Ron,

> http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc310.htm

Ok, I think I will go with 2 PC310's.

> I went witha PC545, since it is mounted aft thus no need for metal
> jacket, aluminium #4 wires with copper clad and a second total loss 2.2

About the aluminium #4 wire:
I did some calculations. Aluminium offers little advantage over copper.
The sales brochure will try to let you believe something else.
The error is that they compare #4 alu wire with #4 copper wire. This
saves 45% of weight indeed. What they don't tell you (it is also
forgotten in their data sheets) is that the conductivity of aluminium is
less. #4 alu wire has even less conductivity than #6 copper wire. And #6
copper wire weighs a lot less than #4 copper wire which they used for
comparison. Now do the comparison again... leave the math to you. ;-)
What is the weight saved?

I will use #6 copper wire. This will give me a voltage drop of 0.5 Volts
with batteries in bagage bay (guestimated a 9 ft back and forth). Your
thicker aluminium #4 wire will give a loss of 0.7 Volts....

Just found an online-calculator for this:
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm near the bottom of the page.

Have fun! ;-)

--
Frans Veldman