RE: Europa-List: Battery capacity

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Battery capacity
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:17:47

We chose a 25 Amp hr battery with the assumption that we would
eventually build long wings for our Europa (which we eventually did) and
that we would need plenty of battery capacity to run various avionics
for several hours with the engine off.  We have since flown with the
engine off for about an hour max, and had the voltage to the instruments
drop to the point where they started dropping out (we were consuming
about 2.5 amps).  Our problem is that there are small voltage drop at
many locations that can add up to as much as 2 volts.  So when the
battery drops to 12.0 volts, the instruments see 10.0 V, and have
problems operating there.  We have spent some time looking for the
voltage drops.  They come from each connection (spade lugs, etc.), each
switch, and each circuit breaker.  The biggest drops are in the
individual circuit breakers in the switch panel we bought from Aircraft
Spruce.  We have reduced some of the drops by coating connections with
silver grease, but have not come up with a good solution for the drops
in the circuit breakers.
We have since swapped out the 25 Ahr battery for a 16 Ahr battery, to
save a little weight.

As far as charging the battery, we have only the stock alternator, which
has no trouble keeping the battery charged.  We were very careful to
keep our power consumption low, using a mechanical master contactor
(saves 1 Amp), low power strobes (4A vs 7A), LED Nav lights, lower power
radio and xponder, etc.

Regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD