Re: Europa-List: Battery capacity

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Battery capacity
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 20:24:01

Hi Ron,

> Did you read Erics install manual like I reccomended?

I thought I did, but this pdf contains information that is missing in
the pdf on top of the page.

> #4 CCA is .435" diameter and .244 miliohms per foot and 1.72 oz per
> foot. Larger diameter and bout same resistance as #4 copper but lighter
> per foot..

Well, this explains a lot.
So far I have always learned that the "gauge number" indicates the
DIAMETER of the cable. So, #4 cable in aluminium is the same diameter as
#4 copper cable.
Now it appears that this #4 CCA cable is more than twice the diameter of
what one normally would call #4 cable.

> Is there something the matter with my math?

No, there is something the matter with the name of the cable, which
suggest that it has a diameter of #4. Why would someone name something
#4 cable, while it has twice the diameter? :-S

If you do the math according to the standard cable sizes (seen the
online calculator I recommended?) then #4 aluminum cable comes out worse
than #6 copper cable.

So, we were both right after all with our math but I have to admit being
mislead by the "#4" indication suggesting that this cable would have a
diameter of gauge #4.

However, if his "#4 CCA" cable has indeed the same resistance as #4
copper cable, by increasing diameter, then the weight saving is indeed
worthwile.

> BTW read on the website I sent you about PC310 batteries about charging.
> Although they will somewhat work with normal lead acid battery chargers,
> you want to follow their recomondations. I will set my LR3C at 14.7 volts.

I also have that Ducati-thing on the other alternator. Guess I have to
put a diode in series with its sense lead to crank up the voltage somewhat.

--
Frans Veldman