RE: Europa-List: auxillary fuel tank

Subject: RE: Europa-List: auxillary fuel tank
From: Robert C Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:22:00
Hi! Michel/Karl/ Dr David Joyce and all,

At the expense of being a =93kill joy=94 with regards to =93Red Marine
auxiliary tanks=94 =85=85. I believe the guys who were killed doing a
180deg
---From 300ft take off near San Francisco in a Europa were using just that
kind of tank. Don=92t know if there was any conclusions made as to the
accident cause or if there was any likely connection but the aircraft
pranged into rough grass on the airfield perimeter, the pictures I saw
were two body bags and nothing above about 9=94 high was left of the
whole
plane.

I have a 9 imp gallon aluminium tank strapped behind the main tank
bulkhead which siphons using the Europa style squeeze ball into the main
tank. It fills simultaneously with the main tank filler but can be
switched off if not required to be filled. It can also be siphoned empty
when on the ground.
=93Of course there are some who would say I only needed it due to the
Jabiru 3300 gas guzzler!=94
I did satisfy the PFA loading requirements although the actual testing
took lots of multiple rope pulleys and a spring balance with mechanical
advantage calculations to verify the loads.
Ivor Phillips can bear witness to a pitfall where the siphon
discontinued and about 2 hours later about 30 minutes out of Vitoria
(Spain), due to a double wingover maneuver on a photo shoot whilst
leaving Majorca, we had a few moments of glorious silence!  He had to do
an about turn in his seat and do some rapid hand ball squeezing to
ensure enough fuel to make destination.
The moral to the story is when flying solo with such arrangements ensure
the squeeze ball is within reach of the P1 !
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG