Re: Europa-List: auxillary fuel tank

Subject: Re: Europa-List: auxillary fuel tank
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 10:38:39

Kevin, I have designed a composite 110 litre tank to sit in the passenger
seat and to use the existing straps as constraint. It probably doesn't
answer your needs but if so I would be happy to give you more detail. In
this country there are problems with the Europa Long Ranger tank, which I
understand has never got PFA approval. To count as an auxiliary tank (as
opposed to a ferry tank - which introduces its own restrictions) it needs to
pass CSA-VLA regs, which state among other things:
1) the tank must cope with 24kPa (3.481psi) overpressure, that is to say a
tad over 500lbs per sq ft!
2) The restraints must withstand a 9g forward and 3g upward acceleration
loads.
3) The tank filler must be located outside the personnel compartment (on my
design achieved by having a plug in filler funnel with a dog leg so that the
actual filler orifice is outside)
4) Connections must be such that no fuel pump can draw fuel from more than
one tank at  a time.
        My tank has not yet passed PFA/LAA approval although Andy Draper has
made encouraging noises.
        Of course on your side of the pond you can probably ignore such
restrictions, but a loose fuel tank must be one of the least desirable
extras with a nasty landing!
Happy New Year, David Joyce, G-XSDJ