RE: Europa-List: What's up with the cost of 914?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: What's up with the cost of 914?
From: glenn crowder <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 10:55:39

You forgot the power ashtrays and cupholders, and vibrating seats!

                                      Glenn

Subject: RE: Europa-List: What's up with the cost of 914?Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2
ronics.com

I think the European builders (and those Americans that have worked so hard
 to keep their weight down) should realize that us red white and blue Ameri
can builders have heavier planes due to the need for power steering, power
brakes, air conditioning and the 6 disc CD players (plus of course the frid
ge to keep diet cokes in) that are standard on all American Europas  - obvi
ously, as Glenn has pointed out, the correct answer to extra weight is the
American hot rod approach - there is no substitute for cubic inches and ext
ra horsepower -

Tongue in Cheek

Gary Leinberger
A237
Almost ready to put the cockpit module in.

From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-serv
er@matronics.com] On Behalf Of nigel charlesSent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007
1:48 AMTo: europa-list@matronics.comSubject: RE: Europa-List: What's up wit
h the cost of 914?

It will be particularly interesting to see how Bob=92s change from the Jabi
ru to the Rotax affects the performance and fuel economy of his aircraft. I
 think it is the first time we will have such a conversion. My guess is tha
t the numbers will improve. The use of a gearbox and liquid cooling should
both contribute to better numbers. The Jabiru can only produce full power a
t speeds over 3000rpm which is not good efficiency for the prop. Air coolin
g (as proved by the automobile industry) is definitely less efficient than
liquid cooling. All this should translate into better range and/or payload.

Nigel Charles

-----Original Message-----From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com [mai
lto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of R.C.HarrisonSent:
06 June 2007 00:08To: europa-list@matronics.comSubject: RE: Europa-List: Wh
at's up with the cost of 914?

Hey! Paul /Graham all
If anyone knows about costs of 914 it=92s me !  Just settled up for one and
 a new Woodcomp prop.!
BTW Paul HP is irrelevant master of all things is the TORQUE output at the
end of the shaft the prop fits to!
And the rate of fuel expenditure !
Looking forward to some real comparison flying or proving all my fellow fli
ers have been bullshitting me !
Regards
Bob H G-PTAG

Robt.C.Harrison

-----Original Message-----From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com [mai
lto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of Paul McAllisterSen
t: 05 June 2007 23:37To: europa-list@matronics.comSubject: RE: Europa-List:
 What's up with the cost of 914?

930 lb for a typical mono ? Well perhaps.

3 years ago I took the weight of 19 completed XS 914T Mono Europa's with CS
 props and came up with an average of 865 lbs.  Mine came in at 860 lbs and
 with what I know now I believe I could build it 20 lb lighter.

With that all said, your correct,  all the HP you can muster during the tak
e off phase is highly desirable.

At the risk of sparking a debate, I found the 914 to be a game changer for
the aircrafts performance, but, I state this in the context of my mission p
rofile.  I typically fly 2 legs of 400 nm in the 8000 ~ 12,000' feet range.
  At this altitude I see 148 knots TAS with a fuel burn of 5.1 ~ 5.3 US gal
lons per hour.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Paul

N378PJ

617 hours and still grinning

-----Original Message-----From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com [mai
lto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com]On Behalf Of glenn crowderSent:
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 9:40 AMTo: europa-list@matronics.comSubject: RE: Eur
opa-List: What's up with the cost of 914?
   Well, its been a real easy lander for me, and I fly a mono only on hard
runways at highaltitudes.  No ground loops, no "issues".  Weight is identic
al to most 914 powered monos withCS props at 930 lbs.  Too much power is ju
st enough!  Two up in the summertime the 912S powered LSA's around my field
 are total dogs at this altitude, barely clearing the power lines at the en
d of the field!                                                Glenn
      - The Europa-List Email Forum -   --> http://www.matronics.com/Naviga
tor?Europa-List               - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -   --> http://for
ums.matronics.com              - The Europa-List Email Forum -   --> http:/
/www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List              - NEW MATRONICS WEB F
ORUMS -   --> http://forums.matronics.com

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List";>http://www.matronhr
ef="http://forums.matronics.com";>http://forums.matronics.com

With Windows Live Hotmail, you can personalize your inbox with your favorit
e color.
www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/personalize.html?locale=en-us&ocid
=TXT_TAGLM_HMWL_reten_addcolor_0607