RE: Europa-List: What's up with the cost of 914?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: What's up with the cost of 914?
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 18:14:06

Jos,

I took my data from the Europa club files for 914 Mono's about 3 years ago.
I am sure that the sample size is bigger now.

I was disappointed that mine came in at 860, I was hoping for about 840
pounds.  Some of the things that I could have done better was to put on less
paint and filler, particularly primer.

The welding cable for the battery in the rear was weighted a lot,  I think I
should have used CCA cable.

Another thing I wish I had investigated was the weight difference between
aluminum and rubber fuel lines.

Lastly, I have just put in a glass panel.  This took out 6 pounds, but if I
had done it from the beginning the panel would have weighted less.

With that all said,  I am not about to build another Europa, or rebuild the
one I have,  I am having way too much fun flying it.

To answer your question on power settings.  I typically fly at 28" @ 5000
rpm at around 8~12,000 feet.  I see around 146 ~ 152 knots TAS, depending on
the altitude.

I have done one set of calibrations on the glass panel for TAS and I don't
think its all that far off, however my panel will dump out the following
(and more) parameters to a USB stick:

  IAS
  GPS ground speed
  GPS Heading
  Magnetic heading
  Pitch
  VSI
  OAT
  Pressure altitude
  RPM
  MAP
  Fuel flow

One of these evenings I am going to fly a bunch of circles at different
altitudes and calculate out the TAS for myself to see if what my panel is
saying is correct or not.

Paul

BTW.  I saw a reference to taxi testing.  I would encourage you to read my
article in the Europa flyer on the topic of flight testing.  After my
experiences my recommendation is not to do taxi testing for the mono.