RE: Europa-List: canopy open

Subject: RE: Europa-List: canopy open
From: Mike Gregory <m.j.gregory@talk21.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:38:58
I quite agree that prevention is better than cure, and anything that people
do to pay attention to checklists/warning lights/checking security to ensure
that the canopy doors are properly locked before takeoff is to be welcomed.

I am not convinced of the desirability of having any additional one locking
mechanism to prevent opening in flight that might either prevent the
pilot/passenger or outside rescuers from opening the canopy in the event of
a crash landing.  If, for example your engine failed on takeoff and you had
to make an immediate forced landing without being able to choose where and
without time to unlock the doors, you would not wish to jeopardise your
chances of survival further by being locked in.

Graham is right: you must FLY THE AEROPLANE.  If, for whatever reason,
prevention has failed and a canopy door does unlatch in flight, then the
handling pilot should think very carefully before deciding to risk holding
onto the door if he is flying solo.  Chuck Rhoads was fortunate to get away
with it ("the landing became interesting because I had never used my right
hand on the controls and thus there was no easy to control throttle, trim,
etc.  The landing actually turned out to be pretty good...").  The Europa
will fly perfectly well after losing a door, and it may be far better to
have this happen and accept that there will be a relatively minor repair
than to risk the far more serious consequences of losing proper control, of
which we have been given vivid examples in previous messages.

Mike Gregory

Europa Club Safety Officer

  _____