RE: Europa-List: canopy open

Subject: RE: Europa-List: canopy open
From: Dean Seitz <daseitz@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:57:44

<<<<Is there any danger of the door flying off and damaging the tail - or is
the tail robust enough? >>>>>

I can tell you from experience that the door will rip the hinges in half if
it opens at cruise speed!!!!  Yes I made the mistake of not checking the
rear bolt in about the sixth hour on the plane. Was at 1600ft feeling the
air coming through the throttle slot trying to figure why.  Door flew open
straight up. Before I could even think about grabbing it, it was gone. No
damage to airframe at all, just no door and mouth open. Aircraft flies fine
just don't try to use charts, a little windy. Built new door and always
check doors twice before takeoff.

Dean Seitz
N284A