Re: Europa-List: canopy open

Subject: Re: Europa-List: canopy open
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:15:45

I tend to agree, Mike. Mal MaClure in Australia developed a very cheap,
very simple way of making the doors safe and stopping the slight bowing
that occurs when the fresh air vents are open. Ever had your shirt
sleeve gently tugged by the slight draft going under the bottom edge of
the door? I've an idea Bob Berube did something similar?
He fitted a small nylon wedge to the door and the door frame mid way
along the bottom of the door, the two wedges just latch and hold when
the door is closed. The door flexes slightly as it latches and
unlatches, (don't worry about this) If the door isn't fully closed it
won't be latched but you may still get the front shoot bolt in. Then
after take off there will be an unusual draft through the gear lever
slot, it's caused byt the air being sucked out of the cockpit through
the back edge of the door.
Mal's mod means you just latch the door and if it's latched, close the
shoot bolts. If it isn't latched don't lock it.
Graham