Re: Europa-List: canopy open

Subject: Re: Europa-List: canopy open
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:34:52
----- I am not convinced of the desirability of having any additional
one locking mechanism to prevent opening in flight that might either
prevent the pilot/passenger or outside rescuers from opening the canopy
in the event of a crash landing.  If, for example your engine failed on
takeoff and you had to make an immediate forced landing without being
able to choose where and without time to unlock the doors, you would not
wish to jeopardise your chances of survival further by being locked in.
 Mike Gregory
Europa Club Safety Officer

Yes - that is the other side of the story. Same problem is
in cars when driving in "bad" cities: doors should be
locked to prevent possible robberies in traffic lights
but they should be open for possible accidents.
Best locks open automatically when crashed.

I tell more about my personal safety plan: passenger side
door is always locked by pip-pin. That is because no-pilot-
passenger (child for example) is irresponsible. It takes only
one second to open the door by lifting the lever ("hey what
the hell is this?"). When locked w pip-pin there is more time
and pilot can prevent stupid or accidentally opening.

Notice: when parked pip-pin is a passenger side door lock!

Pilot side: pilot decides if he/she uses pilot side pip-pin or not.
I think it is safe to use well after take-off when levelled and unlock
again well before landing.

Of course after emergency landing you can find yourself
on it=B4s side locked side upp...

By the way - I am not sure - but I think most Cessna pilots do
lock both of the doors before take-off. I checked also my Cessna
flying manual and there was a clear order: before take take-off
do close and lock the doors (this is also for comfort: if not locked
you cannot use your armrests - locking lever is on its way when
unlocked position).

Life and flying is full of choices, happily.

I want to point: this all is IMHO. Copy or not!

Raimo
====
Raimo M W Toivio

OH-XRT Europa XS Mono #417
OH-CVK C172 Skyhawk
OH-BLL Beechcraft C45 w radial engines (grounded)

37500  Lempaala
Finland
tel + 358 3 3753 777
fax + 358 3 3753 100
gsm + 358 40 590 1450

raimo.toivio@rwm.fi
www.rwm.fi

  Also I decided to use pip-pins to secure doors against unintentionally
opening during flight. There is also a label "remove pip pin before
landing" - that is for possible emergency exit.

  Check an attachment.

  Raimo