Re: Europa-List: canopy open

Subject: Re: Europa-List: canopy open
From: jimpuglise@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:44:02
We had an unlatched canopy incident here at Punta Gorda last weekend.  I Long
Eze
went in about a half mile from the departure end of the runway.  The pilot
is 72 and has been flying the airplane for 25 years.  He tried to hold the
canopy
down and fly the airplane at the same time and it did not work very well.
The airplane was pretty much destroyed but he got out with some bruises and a
few broken bones.  I think he is out of the hospital by now.  The point for all
of us is:

CHECKLIST -- CHECKLIST -- CHECKLIST

Jim Puglise A-283, Punta Gorda, FL

From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>

> Chuck
> glad you had enough wits to FLY THE PLANE. :-)
> We can all learn from other peoples mishaps, thanks for telling us.
> When my engine boiled on take off, then a hose burst, then the engine
> swallowed glycol but unfortunately didn't stop, then? I've no idea but
> the trim was badly nose high, (I checked the wreck a few weeks later,
> we had a stick top trim button and I guess I nudged it accidentally) so
> I must have been pushing hard, glycol on windscreen, not enough power
> with trees and barn to avoid, I can only assume My gyro toppled.
> Then the power came back suddenly and I guess the extra torque tripped
> the left wing, (inside of turn) and in we went from 100 feet or so. At
> least it didn't hurt, till later.
> I have no memory of the accident but it tool me 6 weeks to get out of
> hospital, fortunately most of what they screwed back on works. They were
> good those guys but I was lucky. They were doing a trial at the hospital
> that day, put as many surgeons as necessary on the case at once, I think
> they said 7 guys worked on me at once. IT WORKED but I don't think it
> worked for the bean counters.
> I really should go back to the hospital and chase them up on their
> conclusions to that successful experiment.
> One very successful British NHS story. I do find it difficult to respect
> beancounters. Our western education system still hasn't learnt what the
> real values are. Maybe we should blame the bean counters for global
> warming ;-)
> Graham
> pholosoffing again, sorry

<DIV>We had an unlatched canopy incident here at Punta Gorda last weekend.&nbsp;
I Long Eze went in about a half mile from the departure end of the runway.&nbsp;
The pilot is 72 and has been flying the airplane for 25 years.&nbsp; He tried
to hold the canopy down and fly the airplane at the same time and it did
not work very well.&nbsp; The airplane was pretty much destroyed but he got out
with some bruises and a few broken bones.&nbsp; I think he is out of the
hospital&nbsp;by
now.&nbsp; The point&nbsp;for all of us is:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>CHECKLIST -- CHECKLIST -- CHECKLIST</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jim Puglise A-283, Punta Gorda, FL &nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px
solid">-------------- Original message -------------- <BR>From: Graham Singleton
&lt;grahamsingleton@btinternet.com&gt; <BR><BR>&gt; --&gt; Europa-List message
posted by: Graham Singleton <BR>&gt; <GRAHAMSINGLETON@BTINTERNET.COM><BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; Chuck <BR>&gt; glad you had enough wits to FLY THE PLANE. :-) <BR>&gt;
We can all learn from other peoples mishaps, thanks for telling us. <BR>&gt;
When my engine boiled on take off, then a hose burst, then the engine <BR>&gt;
swallowed glycol but unfortunately didn't stop, then? I've no idea but
<BR>&gt; the trim was badly nose high, (I checked the wreck a few weeks later,
<BR>&gt; we had a stick top trim button and I guess I nudged it accidentally)
so <BR>&gt; I must have been pushing hard, glycol on windscreen, not enough
power <BR>&gt; with trees and barn to avoid, I can only assume My gyro toppled.
<BR>&gt; Then the power came back suddenly and I gu
 ess th
e extra torque tripped <BR>&gt; the left wing, (inside of turn) and in we went
---From 100 feet or so. At <BR>&gt; least it didn't hurt, till later. <BR>&gt; I
have no memory of the accident but it tool me 6 weeks to get out of <BR>&gt;
hospital,
fortunately most of what they screwed back on works. They were <BR>&gt;
good those guys but I was lucky. They were doing a trial at the hospital
<BR>&gt;
that day, put as many surgeons as necessary on the case at once, I think
<BR>&gt; they said 7 guys worked on me at once. IT WORKED but I don't think
it <BR>&gt; worked for the bean counters. <BR>&gt; I really should go back to
the hospital and chase them up on their <BR>&gt; conclusions to that successful
experiment. <BR>&gt; One very successful British NHS story. I do find it
difficult
to respect <BR>&gt; beancounters. Our western education system still hasn't
learnt what the <BR>&gt; real values are. Maybe we should blame the bean
counters for global <BR>&gt; warming ;-) <BR>&gt; Gra
 ham <B
 The Eu