Re: Europa-List: Oil return hose / 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil return hose / 914
From: Garry <garrys@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:31:40
Actually, I was one of the earliest 914 Europa drivers in the
US.......first flight being in 1999.  With about 50 hours of flight I
had the oil return line "carbonize", and burst in flight.  Fortunately,
no fire but lots of smoke.  The oil return line provided by Europa (or
perhaps it was Rotax), was junk.  I replaced it with a stainless steel
braided oil line, covered the line with firesleave, and further wrapped
a stainless steel jacket around the line where it comes closest to the
exhaust system.  400 hours later, no problem.

A better solution however, is to turn the banjo fitting at the bottom of
the engine so as to face forward.  Then route the oil return line
forward to the front of the engine and then backward to the oil tank,
keeping the line far away from any exhaust components.  A "stock" oil
return line, fitted per instructions WILL burn up.  Please take this
advice seriously.

Garry Stout
N4220S  A060 Trigear