Europa-List: Oil return hose / 914

Subject: Europa-List: Oil return hose / 914
From: Gert Dalgaard <lgds@post6.tele.dk>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:16:45
Hi
I have had an quite unpleasant experience while doing my annual.
The last month or so I have noticed a ( - very week) smell of "hot
oil" sometimes during take of...... and funny enough only during take
of.
Could not localize the reason until now when disassembling the
different parts under the cowling for the 100 hours/annual check.
It looks like the oil - return - hose have been more than hot under
the asbestos - fire - sleeve, and therefore have changed to a kind of
"glasslike".
I am sure it would have collapsed within the next hours.
The oil - line have been routed according to Rotax installation
manual and instructions from Europa - app. 90 degree to the stb. side
and up alongside the intake manifold to the top of the oil-tank
The problem is on that piece of the hose that runs between the turbo
unit and the bottom of the engine.
You better put that oil-line on your check - list if you fly behind a
914' ...
FYI - I have never seen higher oil-temp's than 110C (app. 230F)
according to the log in my FlyDat.
Have other had similar experiences?

Gert
OY-GDS

NB    - remember to make a notice about Endelave '07 in your
agenda   :-)