Re: Europa-List: First Flight

Subject: Re: Europa-List: First Flight
From: Garry <garrys@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:42:34

Bob Harrison wrote................

" Be sure to do the head re-torque
> and valve reset (unless they are hydraulic) at no more than 5 hours,
> then repeat every 5 hours to 25.

I would like to remind all Rotax drivers to periodically check the torque on
the head bolts of their engines.  This past weekend I sprang a major
in-flight oil leak necessitating an emergency landing.  Oil was gushing from
between the head and the cylinder.  Upon landing I checked the head bolts on
that cylinder and found two of the four to be less than finger loose.  After
tightening them up, I checked all the other cylinders too, and found 3 of
the remaining 12 bolts to be slightly loose.  All should be torqued to 200
inch pounds.  For reference purposes, my 914 engine is 7 year old with
almost 500 hours on it.........and I never checked the head bolt torque
before.

Garry Stout
N4220S  A060 TriGear