Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:30:25

> Fred
>
> There were (TWO) tri-gears that day. One mono wheel, one
> mono wheel with the glider wings. All I was saying was all
four
> a/c were in same airspace at same time, same speed.  When
tanks
> were topped off  each tri- gear took approx. 2 gal more
that the
> mono wheel.
>
> Jim Brown

I got that part, but I was just trying to restate "trigear
burns more gas" to simple math.  Assuming all were same
engine/prop combination, at 75%, all will burn same gas.
Well, ignoring that a heavier aircraft will burn more in
climb.  Fuel burn is proportional to power (though not
always linearly), and power required, in formation flight,
to overcome add'l relative drag has a "cube" in Dr.
Hoerner's handy little formula.

Reg,
Fred F.