RE: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: RE: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:31:53

Another benefit of the monowheel over the trigear is when it comes to
strip operation. When the grass is soft conditions can prevent the
trigear getting airborne due to increased rolling drag. This was proved
when the trigear demonstrator was flown into a grass strip in northern
England. With two on board it proved impossible to reach rotate speed on
take-off. The only solution was to leave the passenger behind. On the
same day the monowheel operated two up with no problems.

Nigel Charles

> > I remain completely baffled as to why so many Europa pilots have
chosen
> the
> > mono over the trigear when given  a choice.  There is absolutely
zero
> > performance advantage to the mono, in rate of climb, in cruise
speed, in
> > fuel burn, or whatever.  The difference is that the mono is
inheritantly
> > unstable in landing (and takeoff) configuration.  Everyone (almost)
else
> in
> > the aircraft business, both large and small, has abandon the
taildragger
> > design, and no one else is building mono wheel planes.  For the life
of
> me I
> > cannot understand why Ivan thought he could be successful when the
rest
> of
> > the world says it's an unstable design.  The proof is in the
results.
> > Europa mono's are ground looping, wheelbarrowing, bending props,
running
> off
> > the tarmac, and generally destroying themselves with regularity.
> Perhaps
> > that is a smart marketing strategy........to design a product that
> requires
> > regular parts replacement and rebuilding, but as a pilot I'm not
> impressed.
> > I do acknowledge that there are a few among our ranks who get a
certain
> > thrill out of placing themselves in danger on every flight, and love
the
> > challenge of taming a wild and unpredictable beast.  It makes for
good
> chest
> > thumping and bragging rights at the local pub, but might I suggest
that
> you
> > take up the (American) sport of bull riding.  It's probably safer
and
> more
> > satisfying than trying to land a mono.  I'm not trying to stir up
the
> ranks,
> > but simply trying to understand the motivation of choosing an
unstable
> > design over a proper one.  Both Europas are fabulous planes in the
air,
> but
> > one operates on the ground in a proper fashion while the other acts
like
> > drunk and wounded gooney bird.  Let's hear some logical and
unemotional
> > arguments in favor of the mono.
> >
> > Trigear pilot

It's