Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:00:06

<acrojim@cfl.rr.com>
> We were in the air over two hours with all four planes and
the camera ship.

> After landing all four planes were refueled.  The two
tri-gear's took
> over two gallons each, more fuel than my mono wheel.

> The tri-geared just simply burned more fuel.

I believe all we demonstrated here was a drag penalty for
that particular tri-gear.  If such speed penalty is say 7%,
then that will take about 20% more fuel to keep up with the
faster aircraft.  IOW, a mono at 75% power flying abreast a
trigear at 95% power.  There may have also been aerodynamic
build variations between the two planes having nothing to do
with the gear legs, one of which is further fighting the
prop.

Reg,
Fred F.